Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Not actually dinner tonight: Red Tomato Chutney

Hello blog-readers!
I apologize for the dearth of posts the last few days, but I've had little exciting to write about. I spent a lot of the intervening meals dining on leftovers...either the boys at the family dinner party were not as big eaters as I expected, or they were being polite. Our typical Tuesday night dinner was spent this week at the Legg Mason tennis tournament, and the "lamb gyro" from Kabob and Naan I had was decidedly NOT worth blogging about. Hence, my absence.

Today, however, eating excitement returns! One of my favorite parts of summer the past several years is the little brown bag of homegrown tomatoes my boss leaves on my desk every so often. These are the sweetest, tenderest tomatoes I've ever had, and really put supermarket tomatoes to shame. The latest installment from tomato Santa appeared in my office this morning; although I had no intention of doing any real cooking these week, I couldn't let these beauties go to waste. And so, tonight they became red tomato chutney.

I made this chutney exactly as the recipe states, although it took nearly twice as long for it to cook down as written. The result is pretty fantastic...more savory than a fruit chutney--a little tart, a little sweet, a teensy bit like vinegary tomato sauce. And the best part is, it keeps for 2 months! Looking forward to enjoying it soon, perhaps over a flaky white fish, or maybe on a grilled muenster sandwich?

No comments:

Post a Comment