Friday, October 15, 2010

Dinner tonight: Sweet and Spicy Citrus Tilapia

Tilapia was on super-duper sale (which, in case you're not up on your pre-teen girl jargon, is way better than super sale) for like $3/lb this week, so I made Sweet and Spicy Citrus Tilapia paired with broccolini and brown rice to sop up the sauce. The broccolini I just blanched in boiling water, then quick-sauteed with some oil oil and chopped shallots.


Another score from CL! This dish was really, very flavorful. I can see how even the author's small children ate it. No fishy taste, and the competing citrus tartness and spiciness in your mouth is fun. Although she was very creative with flavors, however, I don't think she's so good at recipe-writing. The biggest flaw was the broiling time. I don't know if this lady was broiling with bicycle power or what, but there is no way it takes 15 min to cook tilapia under the broiler. I set the broiler to low and it was still done in 6. Also, I think the recipe called for too much ground red pepper. I used less than half of what she called for, and it was still pretty spicy.

Because the fish cooked so quickly, I left it in the oven on warm for a good 15 minutes, because the side took way *longer* than it should have. I should have known better...I was in a hurry to get dinner on table, so I stared at the pot of water waiting for it to boil. Correspondingly, it took...FOREVER.

Overall, solid dish. Definitely not an homage to sophisticated palates, but flavorful, quick, and easy. And low calorie (225 for a 6 oz fish filet), which always gets extra points in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment