Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Dinner Tonight: Haddock with Romesco Sauce and Spinach-Asiago Ramekins

So, I'm not even going to pretend that I "modified" the recipes used for last night's dinner. Really, I just kind of used Sauteed Halibut with Romesco Sauce and Individual Spinach-Asiago Gratins as guides.

Halibut is disgustingly expensive--$16/lb at the HT! So I chose to use haddock instead, at $9/lb. Because haddock is a pretty delicate fish, and because I don't use non-stick skillets or a ton of butter/oil (so when I pan-cook fish half of it ends up fused to the pan :( ), I chose to broil instead. 6 min on a foil-lined baking sheet.

The fish was nice and light, and the romesco sauce (which I did make according to the recipe--except subbed ~1/4 tsp ancho chile powder for an actual chile and made 3/4 the amount) was freaking fantastic. I want to put this sauce on everything. Seriously, if it wasn't for the fact that it gives you major raw garlic breath, I might eat this stuff every day. You MUST try it!

We had the fish and romesco over whole wheat couscous, and accompanied by a spinach-asiago side. I followed the first part of the gratin recipe, up to the wilted spinach (I just used leftover baby spinach). Then I just mixed in S&P, a dash of nutmeg, and some finely chopped asiago (also leftover from other recipes), put in ramekins, topped with a tiny bit of panko, and broiled for two min. This was good, something a little different from regular sauteed spinach. The only bummer was that the spinach cooked way down and we ended up with pretty stingy veg portions. Which is sad, because we know how much I love vegetables.

Bottom-line assessment is that dinner was a reasonable success, even if I did not follow instructions! Also: make the romesco. Yuuuu-uuuuum.

No comments:

Post a Comment