Friday, November 5, 2010

Dinner tonight: Curried Squash and Apple Soup

Fall = time to get my money's worth out of the slow cooker. It also happens to = apples and butternut squash, so for dinner Wednesday I made curried squash and apple soup. The nice thing about this recipe was that, even for a slow-cooker recipe, the prep work was pretty minimal. Only three things to chop, and no pre-sauteeing or anything like that. And for once, I made it exactly as described! (ok, I used two cloves of garlic instead of the bottled minced kind, and used bottled minced ginger instead of the fresh kind. That's basically the same. ;) ) I even actually diced (=1/4 in cubes) the apples as directed , rather than doing a lazy chop.

For Pat, I paired the soup with some frozen Gorton's grilled shrimp, and made my go-to, Alexia whole wheat dinner rolls, to sop up the soup.

So, from the color and ingredients, I expected this soup to be sweet-savory. It wasn't at all, really. It was super, super spicy, and only savory. I thought it was okay, Pat really liked it. We both agreed that you couldn't taste the apple at all. I had some leftover roasted acorn squash in the fridge, so I put a little mashed dollop of that in the bottom of the bowl, which I think tempered the spiciness and brought out the squashiness (hrm, that sounded gross...which it wasn't). I think if I were to make it again, I'd use 4-5 cups squash, rather than three, to bring out that flavor a bit more. And use half as much red curry. All-in-all though, a reasonably easy, weeknight fall dinner. Especially if you like spice, and don't mind not tasting the apples you so tirelessly diced...

1 comment: