Monday, May 30, 2011

Root 246 (Solvang, CA)

This place is soooo over-rated. You guys know how much I LOVE to eat, and this was the first time in I can't remember how long that I looked over the menu and was excited by nothing. And that made me sad.

What also made me sad was to learn that either a) chef is watching his blood pressure, or b) they ran out of salt, because this was the most under-seasoned food I've ever tasted. I'm pretty sensitive to salty food, but this stuff had me searching for a salt shaker. I seriously pinched the fleur de sel off the table butter to add to my asparagus soup (which was also, besides being bland, lacking any complexity). Ditto for the Caesar salad with poached egg (which additionally was a weird, slightly cold temperature) and for P's salmon with ham hock (I know! Who can make under-salted hock?!).

The two highs of our dinner were the amazing blue corn bread muffins and a delectable chocolate cake dessert. But they alone could not save this review. Especially since our request for more muffins was summarily forgotten by our server...(x-posted to yelp.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment