Sunday, November 13, 2011

Dinner Tonight: Chiles Rellenos

There's this one stand at the farmers market the always has beautiful poblano peppers. I was feeling inspired one weekend (and I had some shredded Mexican cheese that badly needed to be used before it turned), so I decided to try CL's "chiles rellenos made easy." While they were AWESOME, I can't imagine how much effort regular chiles rellenos take, but these were still a total pain to make, not to mention a mess. I would probably only ever make them again for company. That said, damn they were good!

It turned out I had much less leftover Mexican cheese than I thought, so I ended up kind of flipping the Monterey Jack/goat cheese ratios (which P was less than thrilled about, since he's not a huge lover of the latter). I also reduced the overall cheese amount a bit, since goat cheese is so much stronger in flavor.

The end result was crispy and cheesy without actually being calorically indulgent. The sauce was super yummy too. And there was a ton of leftover whipped eggs after I coated all of the chiles, so I cooked up the remaining eggs in a skillet and finished them off in the oven for a fluffy souffle/omelet-type thingy.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, I've had a hard time finding poblanos before-- which farmer's market has the stand?
    This is one of my favorite recipes ever: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/9468?section=
    ...and I need poblanos for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a stand (I don't remember what the name is) at the Courthouse market in Arlington on Saturdays that pretty much always has poblanos. :)

    ReplyDelete