Sunday, February 6, 2011

Dinner tonight: Kale and Apple Salad with Pancetta and Candied Pecans

The Sterretts had us over for dinner last night; Lee made an awesome sausage, spinach, white bean, and pasta soup (which he says he got from Rachel Ray, amazingly), we were responsible for the salad.

I made Food and Wine's kale and apple salad with pancetta and candied pecans, minus the pancetta (since we were having meat in the soup, I thought it was not really necessary)...and the tarragon, because I thought I had some in my spice rack but I didn't. Also...I made just a fraction of the pecans, using what I had on hand.

This was a really great winter salad, if you're okay eating raw kale (which, when you slice it small, is not that bad). It takes quite a bit of prep, including lots of chopping--even if you do have a mandoline. That said, I think it's totally worth the effort. Nice crunch and balance of sweet, vinegary, salty. The dressing seems really weird from the list of ingredients, but somehow it works really well (even without the pancetta grease). I cut back on the oil a bit to save calories.

No pic, but trust me, it actually looks just like the photo online. Excellent salad for winter entertaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment