Saturday, February 19, 2011

Dinner tonight: Thyme Scented White Bean Cassoulet


So I know I rarely make the same recipe twice. Even when I do, it's usually just that--twice. Thyme-scented white bean cassoulet, however, I make about once a year. I just think it's such a delicious, comforting recipe when it's cold out, and since it uses the slow cooker it's great for day I don't want to have to come home and cook. And I heart cassoulet!

Ordinarily, I make this as-is, but sans the sausage. I fully intended to this time as well, but I had a little snafu with the vegetable broth. I had some in my freezer that I didn't remember to take out until the night before. I did and put it on the counter to defrost, planning on moving to the fridge before I went to bed. Of course, I forgot, so when I woke up the next morning the carton was sitting on the counter, probably full of nascent little microscopic nasties. So, I tossed the broth and used water instead, using 2 bay leaves instead of one to compensate. Honestly, you couldn't tell the difference. And P and I were saved a possible night of misery.

If you're looking for a hearty-yet-healthy slow cooker recipe, definitely make this. SO good. And it has so many vegetables and is so satisfying, it's really a one-pot dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment