Saturday, January 29, 2011

Cupcakes (IMHO)!

So, after last night, I think I can safely say that I've tried most of the DC metro area's cupcakeries. I can also honestly say that, in general, they're a bit of a disappointment. Of course, my initial foray into the delicious world of fun-flavored, personal-sized (although in some cases this is a bit of an understatement!) cakes was Georgetown Cupcake, so the others had a LOT to live up to by comparison. In any event, here is my assessment of DC's cupcakes, ranked from best to worst (Note that there are huge gaps between some of these, even though they're ranked sequentially. E.g., 1-3 are MUCH BETTER than 4&5). In my honest opinion.

1. Georgetown Cupcake. Amazing. Moist, the perfect amount of frosting, and a fun little charm of some sort on top. The first time I tried them, I have 4 over the course of 3 days. :) These are TOTALLY worth waiting in line for, although smarter people would order ahead so you can skip the line. Also, they give out a secret flavor free cupcake every day if you know what to ask for!

2. Buzz Bakery. There aren't as many flavors, and I believe only one type of frosting (GTown does some cream cheese, some buttercream), but moist, a good size, and yummy. Their signature one has a bee flying overhead. Slater lane is a bit far, but fortunately a Buzz is set to open near me soon (allegedly, although the sign has been up for like a year now...)!

3. Hello Cupcake. These cupcakes are way bigger than the GTown ones. A bit too much frosting, and I think not as moist or flavorful as my first and second rankings. But the best in the actual District, from the ones I've tried.

4. Crumbs. Eh. We had these last night, a new loca just opened up in Clarendon. Pro is that they come in multiple sizes, from little mini ones to a ginormous, $35 cupcake. But trust me, you don't want that much. The cake and the frosting both taste a little too commercial, with not a ton of flavor. Even with our fun choices of peanut butter cup and grasshopper, we were underwhelmed, to say the least. Chocolate cake should be moist and fudgey, not generally bland.

5. Red Velvet. I think these are the worst. Dry, dry, dry.

Of course, I welcome your own assessments and/or additions to the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment