Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Dinner tonight: Vegetarian Country Captain

All things considered, I've been pretty good about following recipes recently, so I decided it was time to *really* bastardize one. The poor dinner victim of my whimsy was vegetarian country captain. Incidentally, I think CL features some version of country captain chicken in the mag about once a year, but the calorie stats are always too high so I had never tried it before.

Where to begin? I actually did pretty well until we get to the edamame. For some reason, I just can't get into edamame. I mean, it's fine, but it really doesn't excite me. And I kind of thought the green might take away from the aesthetic of the dish (ok, that's totally a lie, but it sounds good, right?). I replaced the edamame with a peeled, cubed, acorn squash (made ~2 cups). I left out the rice completely but I didn't want the calories, and I also left out the almonds for the same reason. They probably would have added a nice crunch, though. Instead of currants I used raisins, because that's what I had on hand. No cilantro or green onions, because my grocery cart was pretty full without them! With all the subs/changes, I calculated that the dish clocked in around 260ish calories per serving. Which honestly I'm much more comfortable with than the almost 500 as written!

Another decent dish from CL. It took about three times the posted minutes for the cauliflower to get tender, but when it was done it was fairly tasty. Maybe a bit sweet for some, but comforting and warm, albeit a little mushy (sans almonds). As with most stews, it was significantly better after sitting in the fridge for a day. I'd be willing to bet, with almonds and cilantro, it would have been a really good dish, actually. Either way, now I have most of a jar of mango chutney that needs to find some uses (yum)!

1 comment:

  1. Yum. This sounds right up my alley. I won't be skipping the cilantro, green onion, or almonds!

    ReplyDelete