Saturday, January 8, 2011

Dinner tonight: Flounder Rolls with Cherry Tomatoes and Spinach


As part of our continued effort to detox from holiday binging, this week I made flounder rolls with cherry tomatoes and spinach. Also, Pat loves panko, so this was a chance for me to use it (for some inexplicable reason, it's so much more fun to use this than breadcrumbs. Maybe it just feels more exotic?).

I rarely make flounder, so I was excited when I saw it on sale on the Teeter website! Sadly, when I got to the fish counter, the fish guy told me it was gross and he refused to sell it. So we went with tilapia. I made half the recipe, but with the full amount of spinach and tomatoes--I used the correct proportion of tomatoes in the stuffing, so it didn't get too mushy, but the remainder of tomatoes were baked with the fish.

The recipe looks complicated, but it only took ~40 min of prep work, since there's not much chopping involved. Rolling the fish was surprisingly easy, and the oven time gave me a chance to set the table, wash the spinach and cook it so that everything was ready at the same time. Also, the dish is a pretty complete in and of itself, so we just paired it with a crusty baguette and meyer lemon olive oil for dipping (a Xmas present from the 'rents!).

Overall, not bad. The stuffing was yummy, but the fish was a little bland. I think next time I would sprinkle some Old Bay on top (since you really couldn't taste the OB in the stuffing anyway). Probably would have been better with flounder, had it not been so gross it was unsellable...

No comments:

Post a Comment