Thursday, March 10, 2011

Dinner tonight: Eggs Poached in Curried Tomato Sauce

Oh you guys. Yuuuuum. Last night (and the night before) I had eggs poached in curried tomato sauce. It was so fantastically delicious, and so different from the usual dinner. Shown here made with a Polyface egg and kale chips, both from my Farm to Family CSA (more on that in the next post)!


I used veg oil instead of peanut, prepared minced ginger instead of fresh, and threw in some sriracha instead of jalapeno...the one I bought at the store never made it home, somehow. I'm just hoping it's not in some corner of my trunk rotting. I also prepared sans English muffins, since I had already eaten way too many carbs both days.

This is not a beginner recipe. It requires a fair amount of active cooking, and it's tough to cook the eggs just right. The second time I made the egg (made all the tomato sauce at once, but cooked the eggs each night) I was waiting for the yolk to cloud over and kind of cooked the white a bit too much (see picture above). But still, it was delicious...the runny yolky goodness mixing with the coconut milk and tomato was unexpectedly fantastic.

I do, however, think the recipe could be even better. The sauce is so bold that it really overpowers the egg. I think this would be better a) with salmon, or b) with lentils and over basmati rice. Let me know if you try either variation. I may at some point too...I'm already craving more curried tomato sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment