Friday, March 18, 2011

Dinner tonight: Jeega Shrimp and Squash

I got another small, but beautiful butternut squash in my last CSA share, so I decided to try it with jheega shrimp and squash, which had been sitting, uncooked, in my recipe file for like, ever.

I added some sliced, wild mushrooms, also from the CSA, at the stage where the scallions go in, used mustard seeds instead of dry mustard, and bottled, minced ginger because the piece I brought home for HT ended up being moldy and gross.

This was fine, but not spectacular. A solid "meh." Although the flavors were a nice change of pace, definitely not something you'd normally have, unless maybe you're Indian and have a lot of things to celebrate (CL implies that this is a special occasion dish). Ironically, even though the recipe says "serve immediately," I thought it was better as leftovers. The second day of leftovers I added toasted sunflower seed because I'm training for a race and really needed the extra calories. That worked fine, but didn't really improve the dish as a whole any.

Take it or leave it. Not a CL win, but okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment