Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Dinner tonight: 15-minute, low-cal pulled pork dinner (for real!)

If you love mustard and pulled pork, first, pat yourself on the back for having such good taste! Then...MAKE THIS.

I was always really intrigued by those pulled-pork-in-a-plastic-bucket things they sell at the supermarket--bbq pork is on my death row meal list, and the thought of not having to leave the house to have some is incredibly tempting. However, I've sworn off high fructose corn syrup, which is a major component in the sauce they use in these things. So--no pulled pork convenience for me.

...until...

Enter the Sunday circular, and a coupon (yay coupon!!!) for a new product: Lloyd's pulled pork, without the sauce!

I bought said pork, and used my coupon. Double win! I prepared the pork as directed, then mixed it directly into a pot of mustard barbecue sauce (pulled from this CL recipe). For the sauce I omitted the bacon (to save calories and time, plus I don't like bacon in things) and the onions (I was fresh out), so basically just mixed all the condiments and spices together and heated everything up. If I had onions, I would have simply thinly sliced and sauteed before added the remaining ingredients.

To further cut back on calories and avoid carbs, I served the pork on top of packaged three-color slaw (just the veggies, no mayo or anything) dressed with a couple splashes of white wine vinegar.

All told, this clocked in at under 300 calories a serving, I'd bet more like 250-275. That is, if you can limit yourself to just one serving, which is hard because it is SO FREAKING GOOD. P said, "I think this is better than like 90% of the barbecue pork sandwiches I've had in my lifetime." And then proceeded to tell me how our future children will be fat when they get to college because they'll think all awesomely delicious food is as healthy as what I feed him.

Really guys. I know meat in a box can be scary. But trust me on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment