Thursday, July 14, 2011

Pig and Fish (Rehoboth Beach, DE)

Pig and Fish reminded me a lot of a more casual version of Kinkead's: seafood-focused; big, bold flavors; very generous portions; not super-refined. Unfortunately, it's priced a lot like Kinkead's too (and somehow it feels worse paying that much for a meal when you're not dressed up ;) ).

Overall, our food (and drinks) were delicious and well cooked. The pork taco app was flavorful and juicy, the fried green tomatoes were crispy, and both had a kick. Most of the table got the Southern-style preparation of either the firmer white fish (I cannot for the life of me remember what kind it was, although I'm sure P will remind me as soon as he sees this) or the tripletail...I recommend the triple tail. The grits were so good I ate all of mine *and* some of P's. Another diner got the crabcakes, which were HUGE and really sweet and delicious. The sangria was also generous and huge, although maybe could have been a little stronger.

The one thing this restaurant suffered from, I think, is poor decision-making. The fried green tomatoes I mentioned earlier? These were actually fried *red* tomatoes. Which is SO not the same thing!!! I wish they had simply taken this item off the menu if they didn't have the produce, because I felt that trying to switch out one for the other was an affront to my intelligence and/or palette. The other poor decision they made was deep frying the crabcakes. A pan-frying treatment would have served the quality of the crab much better.

Oh yes. Although service was with a smile, it was sloooooow. Even at 6 pm, with half the tables still empty.

Please don't let these last two things keep you from Pig and Fish, though, just be forewarned. Generally, you will be well and plentifully fed if you go! (portions x-posted to yelp.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment