Sunday, September 12, 2010

Bamian Afghan

Friday night I picked up take-out from Bamian Afghan, in Bailey's Crossroads, for our usual Friday night take-out-and-a-bottle-of-wine tradition. This was the third time I've eaten here and even the brief encounter I had with the staff to pick up and pay was pleasant. They are SO nice there!

We ordered: bouranee baunjaun to start -- a stir-fried eggplant dish, topped with yogurt, which came with Afghan bread. This was pretty yummy, though a bit tart. The Afghan bread (which also came with my entree) portion was *very* generous: two gigantic ovals of wheat flatbread probably the length of my fingertips to my elbow! The bread was like wheat pizza dough, albeit a bit dry. (Though I would take this over greasy any day...)

Our entrees, which sounded different on the menu, were remarkably similar. I ordered the kabob murgh, which came as 8 hunks of beautifully browned chicken (although, again, slightly dry), along with a container of some sort of green "salsa" and a salad of diced cucumbers and tomatoes. To my surprise, since the dish came with bread, it was also served over their awesome cardamom-scented brown Jasmine rice. Not sure if this was a mistake or not, but trust me, I wasn't complaining. That rice is SO freaking good. Seriously, I think I had dreams about it that nice. Good dreams.

To round out the meal I also ordered the "two skewers of broiled vegetables." At $3.50, this was the only real disappointment from Bamian. It was totally stingy--two slices of green pepper, two quarters of white onion, and two quarters of tomato. Not impressive, and definitely not $3.50's worth of food. As Pat said, "this is pure profit." Pat ordered the Palau kabob with chicken, which was essentially the exact same thing as mine, but minus the bread and plus a portion of tomato-based meat sauce, with some hunks of lamb.

It took quite a bit of will power to not gorge on my entree in its entirety, but I managed to save enough for lunch on Monday. Which means I will be having cardamom-scented dreams again! (portions x-posted to yelp.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment