Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Raku

This Labor Day, Vanessa and I lunched at Raku, in Dupont Circle. Thankfully, unlike many DC area restaurants, it was actually open for the holiday. Overall, pretty decent. I would not consider it a dining destination, but the food was solid and enjoyably creative. Not bad for a dinner out with friends, perhaps.

We ordered: summer rolls, spicy green beans, the "Seoul" train roll (badum-chung!), and Double Salmon roll. The menu was pretty big, so we had many options to choose from!
Although we ordered the summer rolls with our drinks and they are considered an app, the green beans (which are a side) came out first. This was weird, but we were hungry so we were not all that put off. The green beans, although a bit greasy, were delish. Actually pretty similar to the Sichaun-style green beans I once made from a Sunset recipe online. (Yes, they are half-eaten in this picture. I forgot!! Again!!!)

Next came the summer rolls. I would have liked a bit more shrimp and fewer rice noodles, but again, pretty good! The wrapper was nice and moist, and the sauces were awesome--a duo of chunky peanut sauce and kaffir lime sauce. Which don't necessary seem to me like they would go together, but were fantastic...I might have scraped up the leftovers with a chopstick (because licking the plate, I decided, was a bit uncouth for a lunch date!).

Our sushi rolls were equally interesting. I'm not sure I was a huge fan of the double salmon (pictured on right)...the cooked salmon tasted a little fishy and kind of weird as sushi. The Korean-inspired Seoul train roll (pictured on left) was very yummy though. The kimchi, although also weird, was weird in a good way that the salmon was not. Would definitely order that again. Sorry for the blurry photo...I'm a terrible photographer.

Besides the weird side-coming-out-before-appetizer thing, service was decent and food came fast. Plus, we ended up staying and talking for like an hour after we had paid, and no one kicked us out or gave us dirty looks. Overall, nothing mind-blowing but not a bit disappointing. If someone suggested Raku again, I certainly wouldn't veto it. (portions x-posted to yelp.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment