Saturday, September 18, 2010

Dinner tonight: Summer Ragout of White Beans, Tomato, and Sweet Onion

Okay, okay, sorry I have been remiss in posting...I've been busy and lazy, so now I'm super far behind! This was actually dinner Monday night, but whatevs.

I thought I'd go out on a limb and try to cook something *other* than a Cooking Light or Food and Wine recipe, so Monday I made a summer ragout from the WashPo food section. It looked so yummy in the picture, and with only 180 calories per serving, I couldn't resist!


The results were...okay. Fine for me to eat, but I would not have served it to anyone. The fresh basil added a lot to the dish, but overall it was just kind of, meh. However, I can't necessarily blame the recipe, because I cheated A LOT. Instead of peeling, seeding, and dicing tomatoes, I just bought a can of diced tomatoes. And I am WAY too lazy to cook beans, so I bought canned cannellini beans instead. So. Maybe this is where the recipe fell flat. Although I cannot say for sure, because in my experience, tomatoes and beans in the can are close enough that it shouldn't have made a huge difference. I was also a bit disappointed with the volume I got from 1 1/3 servings (=240 calories), although it did leave me feeling un-hungry.

Those of you with a ton of free time on your hands (HA.)--I'd love to hear how this turns out sans cheating...

No comments:

Post a Comment