Sunday, April 10, 2011

Dinner tonight: Spicy Tortilla Soup with Shrimp and Avocado

Okay, sorry, sorry, sorry...life has been crazy busy recently and I've been too exhausted to blog. But not to eat, though, so we have a lot to catch up on!

Today we'll cover CL's spicy tortilla soup with shrimp and avocado.

YUM. The soup took a bit longer to make than the "20 minutes" CL claimed, but then again, I didn't use pre-chopped veggies like they call for. My only other mods were no crushed tortilla chips (I felt like these calories were better saved for a glass of wine) and no salt, since they didn't have "no-salt-added fire-roasted diced tomatoes" (I mean really, that's a bit niche, don't you think?).

This soup was really great. Very flavorful, and packed a bit of heat, but it didn't linger so it wasn't unpleasant. The avocado added at the end makes it pretty unique, I think. And can I just say, I love hominy. It's like little tiny chewy dumpling bits, but it's actually just corn (see for yourself)! I made a note to myself to find some more recipes that use it, because it's just so delightful.

Anyways, this was a win for the CL. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment