Monday, April 11, 2011

Dinner tonight: Whole Stuffed Trout!

So...I saw the recipe for lump crab-stuffed trout in my magazine, and then I saw whole dressed trout at the HT, and I just couldn't help myself. I took some liberties with the recipe (you know, like taking out one of the two ingredients in the name), but it still turned out delicious! I actually ended up buying the fish on Saturday and freezing it since we weren't having it until Tues, then just defrosted for 20 min in casserole dish filled with cold water. Good as fresh.

No bacon, no crab (I didn't want to have to buy a big thing of crab and have most of it go to waste), but everything else was cooked as specified. It was really incredibly quick and easy to make (aside from all the fine chopping), and SO flavorful and tender. I paired this with steamed asparagus and wheat dinner rolls. Look how purdy!

I almost wish I was attaching a video to this post of Pat and me trying to figure out how, exactly, one eats whole trout...we opted to peel off the skin and slide the meat off the bones, reaching between the bones with the fork tines to grab out some stuffing with each bite. When you finish one side, flip and repeat. The fish heads, however, went to waste. We had had enough adventure for one night.

1 comment:

  1. Um...I think you have a very crucial typo in the first sentence of this post. Might want to check :)

    ReplyDelete