Friday, April 1, 2011

Ray's the Steaks

Ray's made me feel like Goldlilocks. Some was a little too under(insert adjective here), some was a little to over(ditto), and some was just right!

The unders:
-The rosemary foccacia they bring to the table was dry, dry, dry. I respect the fact that it wasn't super-oily, like foccacia can be, but it was, well, under-oily.

The overs:
-Waaaaaay too much spice and sauce on the filet au poivre. Yes, I realize it's supposed to be pepper-crusted, but this one was a bit over the top. And since the entire plate was smothered in sauce, there was no place for me to put a scoop of creamed spinach or possibly have a bite of meat by itself.
- Chewiness of my filet. This made me sad...the rare portion of my filet (order med-rare) was so chewy I didn't eat it. Fortunately, my bf's was more tender.

The just-rights (fortunately, there were the most of these):
-The service! We came in not expecting much, but our service was fantastic. Everyone was incredibly friendly and gracious, and they went out of their was to speed up the service so that we wouldn't miss our show (by the time we were seated, we had less than an hour before we had to catch a cab).
-The wine list. Both of our wines were solid, and incredibly reasonable at $7/8 a glass.
-The crab bisque. I insisted we try this because yelpers had raved. None of them every explained why it was so good, though, so allow me to enlighten you. It is, overall, underseasoned. But in this case, that is a very good thing--even with all that richness, the flavor of the crab really comes through. It's the perfect consistency and the portion of crab is super-generous.
- The peanut butter fudge that came with our check (okay, after I asked for it because everyone seemed to be getting it but us). Then again, I never met a food with pb I didn't like.

I don't think we'll go back, but that's because I'm a snob. And because I hate waiting. :)(x-posted to yelp.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment