Friday, August 20, 2010

Acadiana -- Happy Hour

Things at Acadiana did not get off to a good start. We went explicitly for the Cajun Grill happy hour, happening *only* on Fridays in August. I wanted to get myself a crocodelicious gatortail sandwich. Sadly, there was no gator to be had, and I was devastated. They had decided not to run the special due to Restaurant Week, although the first time I heard about this was as I was walking in the door! Nothing on the website, and apparently nothing on the facebook or twitter pages either. I'm sure there were many sad tummies today.

Having already made the effort to come out here, though, we sat down to happy hour anyway. My first drink was a River something-or-other, with Firefly, lemonade, and soda. Good, but pretty weak. I then switched to Ashleigh's drink, a Pimm's cup. Just sweet enough, very refreshing, and much more kick!
We split three apps--the fried green tomatoes, boudin balls (heehee), and calamari salad. All mediocre. First, the tomatoes. They were cut way too thin, and the "shrimp remoulade" was actually mostly cocktail sauce and COLD shrimp. Meh.
Three boudin balls were a bit better. Not as fluffy as Marcel's, but I'm pretty sure Acadiana doesn't make interns hand-whip them for two hours straight. They weren't too greasy, and halfway decent with the jalapeno jelly and whole grain mustard.
The calamari salad was the best of the three. I was a bit surprised to find fried calamari on a salad; I had expected grilled. I've learned, though, that unless it a menu explicitly says that the calamari is NOT fried, it probably is. Guess people are scared to see little squidlings on their plates? The batter hides their cute little cephalopod heads well. Anyhoo, the salad was a bit overdressed and the dressing a bit sweet, but not overly offensive. I will also say, for half-priced apps, the portions were decently generous.

Our bartender was not very friendly, nor attentive. I don't expect great service at a bar, but at least pretend like you care!

So...glad we went, but after that taste, it is unlikely I will return for dinner. If you want FGTs, go to Ris. THOSE will rock your world. (x-posted to yelp.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment