Saturday, August 7, 2010

Pupatella

You know that pizza place in Eat, Pray, Love? The one in Naples that has the best pizza in Naples, which has the best pizza in Italy, which has the best pizza in the world, and is therefore, by extrapolation, the best pizza in the world? I've been to that place, 4 times actually, and Pupatella's pizza is by far the closest I've come to having that experience in the U.S., let alone in the place where I live!

I think the restaurant (which used to be just a cart near the Ballston metro) got off to a shaky start...when we tried to order a few weeks ago, we were told our pizza would take 2.5 hours to be ready. By last night, though, they seemed to have smoothed things out. I was able to order and pay for the pizza online, which is good because they never answer the phone. You can even put in a delayed order, and tell them what time and day you want to pick it up. I ordered a bit early, nonetheless, unsure that they had yet ironed out all the kinks.

Got to the restaurant for pick-up, which I definitely recommend, because the place is *tiny.* My pizza was, in fact, ready within 10 minutes of my named pick-up time, so I was back home a bit before dinner and the pizza stayed warming in the oven for a little bit. The drive home, with the scent of pizzas torturing me from the passenger seat, was almost too much to bear.


Now, for the pizza. Awesome. They have the dough just right. Doughy, a bit chewy and charred, not too sweet. The real neapolitan is the one that tastes like the place in Naples. If the sauce had been just a tad less sweet, I swear they would be identical. We also got the eggplant, which came with fantastically sweet roasted eggplant, red bell peppers, and fontina cheese. Although I think they were a tad heavy-handed with the salty fontina, this pizza, too, was awesome. Only two tiny pieces survived our gluttony as left overs. Tiny pieces.


Definitely go. Definitely order online. And definitely do take-out. If I didn't still have a little bread guilt from former Atkin's diet traumatic stress, I would probably be returning today. (x-posted to yelp.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment