Monday, August 23, 2010

Binge-fest at the Rivah (and PB&J muffins)

This weekend, we all went down to Ashleigh's parents' river house for 24 hours of debauchery. We ate and drank pretty much from the time we got there to the time we left, and we ate well!

Apps included Mandy's Mediterranean orzo salad, crabs pulled from the river and simply boiled (thanks Lawrence!),


imitation crab pico de gallo, scallop and snapper ceviche, and Peruvian chicken,

all prepared by Eric and Es. And that doesn't include a smattering of other cheeses, dips, veggies, and the like. We washed it all down with homemade sangria and summer brew.

Because we were all such piggies, we ended up not eating dinner until nearly 11pm. NY strips, corn, and squash on the grill, green beans, crusty bread, and I'm sure some other food that I've forgotten. Dessert was awesome...a HOMEMADE chocolate and strawberry ice cream cake with bananas, strawberries, and chocolate cookie crust. Mandy is my sweet tooth hero.

We had another smorgasbord at breakfast. Eggs and bacon cooked superbly by Taly and Adriana, leftovers, english muffins, and peanut butter and jelly muffins (yes, I actually contributed something!). As a general rule, I don't bake (precise measurements make me anxious), but I was responsible for breakfast, and I love PB&J, so decided to make a go of it. The muffins were different and delicious, although definitely dense (um, alliteration much?). I was told they would have been much better with a big glass of milk. I may have also brought some Spongebob go-gurts. Because I am 5.

So. We ate. We drank. We repeated. Needless to say, I will be detoxing for at least the first part of this week. I will still post a recipe review for Tuesday's dinner, and I may even throw in a post on how to cut back on calories to make up for a weekend like that! Thankfully, I *had* put in a 6.5 mile run before the trip, so I that's a good 600 calories I did not have to regret.

1 comment:

  1. 6.5 miles? You go girl :) I'm one of those people who has always had a really hard time with anything athletic (except for my stint as a diver in middle and high school), but I'm trying to get better at running (and trying to enjoy it as much as other forms of exercise...which can be hard in the steamy summer). So far I can run about 3 miles, but that's it before my stamina goes kaput.

    Also, those PB&J muffins look AWESOME. Though I do have to say, gogurt has always kind of freaked me out...I don't like "drinking" foods that I'm used to eating (I don't even slurp the soup from the bottom of my bowl sans spoon...it just seems different and weird to me)

    ReplyDelete