Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Dinner tonight: Thai beef rolls and Korean cucumber salad

Okay, so actually this was dinner Monday night and lunch today, but that makes too long of a title, so let's pretend.

We went to a Wolftrap concert, so I wanted to bring a picnic that was good cold, portable, and preferably didn't take up a lot of space (I metro'd there). We went with an Asian theme: Thai beef rolls, Korean cucumber salad and some sesame rice crackers.
Subs I made: Instead of flour tortillas, I used Flat-Outs multigrain flax wraps. Fewer calories, whole grains, more fiber -- win, win, win! Because my laziness is infinite, I also used broccoli slaw instead of julienning carrots, since it is already pre-julienned.

Verdict: Eh. I thought there was a tad too much ginger in the beef rolls' sauce, and that it lacked something. When I made leftovers, I added some soy sauce...better, but still not great.

I was also pretty disappointed with the cucumber salad. I *love* cucumbers, vinegar, and sugar, but this one was a little blah. I think the recipe intended to say to rinse off the cucumbers after the salting and sitting phase, because it doesn't, I didn't, and I think the salad was way too salty. It also needed probably twice as much vinegar and sugar, and maybe a little more kick as well!

The one real success was the crackers...Pat ate most of the package (in his defense, the entire thing was fairly guilt-free for a boy, at something like 350 calories). Sadly, that was the one part of the meal I didn't make, so I can't take credit.

Not that I have a recipe rotation, but if I did, I'm pretty sure these two would not be going into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment