Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Dinner tonight: Seared Scallops, Spinach, and Corn Soup

Tonight's dinner was predicated on two Harris Teeter specials: corn and scallops. Originally, I intended on pairing Sweet Corn and Squash Soup with Seared Scallops w/ Coarse Sea Salt over slightly wilted baby spinach. Sadly, they were out of corn (damn you, Independence Day grillers!), so I cheated and used Imagine's Harvest Corn soup instead. Oh well, less work and fewer calories.



Mistake #1: don't saute spinach in plan deglazed with white wine. I thought this would be a good idea, but it sapped all the flavor out of the spinach and made it taste a bit burny. Better to just serve the scallops over raw spinach and let the heat from them wilt it just slightly. Mistake #2 (one I ALWAYS make): wait for the pan to be hot enough that you get a nice carmelized color. I detest the cooktop I have in my new apt because it takes forever to get hot and then starts scorching everything after about 15 min.

The soup paired with the sweetness of the scallops, but not as well as I had hoped. Not a complete failure, though, so I'll give it a 6/10.

Now for the good news!
Only cooked 1 lb medium scallops vice 2 lbs large. With 1/3 the scallop mix and 1 cup of soup, dinner calories = 275. Perfect leftover discretionary calories for second helpings if you're a growing boy, some crusty bread to soak up the soap...or for a Georgetown cupcake. ;)

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious! For some reason, I never think to pair soups with anything other than bread or sandwiches, but I can totally see the seafood pairing and now I'm inspired to try different seafoods with soup. Though I must say, faced with the difficult choice between second helpings and a cupcake, I'd probably go for second helpings...and then a cupcake :) Only the line is always too long at Georgetown Cupcake for me to have tried theirs yet!

    ReplyDelete