Saturday, July 31, 2010

Southern-themed family dinner party

Last night, in honor of my sister being in town, we hosted a dinner party for family and pseudo-family. Fortunately, the deliciousness of our meal distracted from the mismatched chairs, plates, and silverware. [Upfront...sorry all the pictures are of partially-eaten food...I was so excited about the meal I kept forgetting to photo-document it!]


We started with a cold cucumber soup; thank goodness I decided to actually read the recipe that morning, because I realized some portions of the soup had to marinate for *at least 8 hours.* I also 1.5x the recipe to ensure we all had enough to eat--after all, there were boys at the table! I may have fudged a little on the marinating (I think it ended up being more like 6 hours), and was way too lazy to use a cheesecloth (as directed), and, for lack of proper tools, used a blender instead of a food processor. All that being said, the soup was absolutely delicious and surprisingly smooth. The dill added a real brightness to the soup without making it taste too chicken-soupy. A great beginning to a summer dinner party. We paired this course with an Avaleda Fonte 2009 Vinho Verde, which I had actually read about in Cooking Light and found at World Market.

Our next course was creole shrimp and grits, paired with roasted asparagus (400 degree oven for ~15 min, tossed with olive oil, S&P, finished with a touch of lemon juice). I subbed halved grape tomatoes for the celery and green bell pepper, but other than that cooked the recipe as written, also 1.5x. The sauce started out much too thick, so I think I used significantly more of the shrimp broth than the recipe calls for. The shrimp also took about twice as long to cook. But the results were SO good. I have had a few cravings for shrimp and grits in the past and been disappointed with what I've been served--looks like I'll just have to whip up some up myself next time, because these were second only to the s&g at a little stand at the Charleston, SC farmers market (which obviously, is a bit inconvenient to get to when a craving strikes!). We paired this with a local 2008 cab from Quattro Goombas, which was a little earthy and spicy and a wonderful accompaniment (thanks Pat!), and a Red Diamond 2007 cab, which is pretty delicious with just about anything (thanks D&D!).

We finished with an oatmeal cookie-peach cobbler, which thankfully my sister made! She used not-very-ripe peaches, which actually turned out to be a very good thing...the slight tartness balanced out what might have otherwise been a pretty sinfully sweet dessert. It also took about 10-15 min longer to cook than directed. I think about half the table went for seconds, so obviously this recipe was a resounding success as well! We paired this with a 2009 Ricossa Muscato d'Asti, also from World Market.

Thank you to our family and family-ish guests! Three recipes tried, three recipes successful! And seven full and happy people. :)

2 comments:

  1. Yesss recipe links! I am so making that soup sometime soon! And I'll be honest, it was only a very very thin thread of propriety that kept me from taking thirds on dessert...

    Thanks again for hosting! I have to say it was a pretty incredible feat pulling off a multi-course dinner on a Friday, without most of the day at your disposal. And I don't think I've laughed that hard or much in awhile, so obviously the company was great too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I totally took the day off, but I appreciate your belief that I could pull something like that off after work. :)
    Glad you had a good time! And we have leftovers if you have a hankering...

    ReplyDelete