Sunday, July 11, 2010

Dinner tonight: Spring Vegetable Lasagna




Yesterday's rainbow chard today ended up in a spring vegetable lasagna. It took a good two hours to prep and cook, so I don't recommend it for a weeknight dinner. I DO recommend making it some weekend, though, because it was delicious and incredibly, surprisingly filling (for only 308 calories)!
Not only was it a great use for the chard, it also packed in a ton of other nutritious veggies -- yellow squash, red bell pepper, carrots, onions, and I threw in a zucchini for good measure. Although I didn't get these other veggies from the farmers market (remember I was trying to be quick and not catch pneumonia!), I made sure to buy everything but the onion and carrots from the organic section of the supermarket. Yellow squash and zucchini were locally produced, and bell peppers are among the "dirtiest" in terms of pesticides, so best to go organic with those. The other nice thing about this dish is that, although vegetarian, it has a ton of protein, which is important to keep you satiated long-term; big protein dinners are also important for anyone who exercises regularly so your body can continue to build and repair muscle.

Although there was a bit too much liquid in the bottom of the pan, overall the recipe came out fabulously. Looking forward to leftovers and freezing some for dinner down the road.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I realize that it's technically summer...a lot of these veggies obviously span spring-summer harvest (yellow squash is a type of summer squash...). Anyway, blame Cooking Light for the recipe name. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo Margaux...when are you going to invite me over for dinner? ;)

    (That's my way of saying this looks awesome! Love the bubbly-looking cheese in the first pic)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can attest that it was delicous...

    ReplyDelete