Monday, July 5, 2010

Eatonville and avocado sandwiches

So, after this weekend's oink-fest (and quite a few non-light beers), today I needed to start a week of clean, healthy eating.

Eatonville
Mandy's parents were in town, so we all met for brunch at Eatonville, run by the Busboys and Poets folks. The name comes from a Zora Neal Hurston novel, so of course the food is deep south comfort food--not exactly light! I successfully stuck to my nutritional goals, though, by ordering the fried goat cheese and spinach salad, which came with red onions. The pecans and dressing I ordered on the side, and only ate a little bit of each. And the fried goat cheese was not at sinful as it sounds, I swear! Kind of like two giant tater tots with cheese in the middle instead of spuds. Ashleigh got the same salad, but with chicken, and Mandy said her shrimp and grits, on jalapeno cheddar grits with greens, tomato, and gravy, was super yummy! I think her parents got a crab burger and a steak, which they both seemed to like okay as well. Overall, a stronger brunch than dinner (which I had several months ago), the ambiance is pretty cool, and I think it's a good spot for groups.

Avo sammies
I tried to be good for dinner too...wanted something light but satisfying enough that I wouldn't snack the rest of the night! I decided to make an open-face avocado sandwich, which I created a couple weeks ago and LOVE. Easy-peasy to make: start with a firm, crusty bread (I used flax bran bread this time), spread on a thin layer of light herb boursin, top with sliced avocados (1/3 to 1/2 of one) and fresh cracked black pepper. Delish, and only ~300 calories!!

1 comment:

  1. I miss you all! NC just isn't VA...

    Wish I could have dined with you.

    ReplyDelete