Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Dinner tonight: Shrimp Stuffed Poblanos with Yellow Rice

Yum-O! Tonight, I decided to wing it with the poblanos (so, no link to a recipe). Thanks, Kelly, for the awesome quinoa recipe, but I had already bought shrimp for tonight's dinner and I try not to make Pat eat vegetarian too many dinners in a row!

Here's what I did:
1. Roasted poblanos. Place peppers on a baking sheet as close as possible to the broiler, broil ~10 min, turning as the sides get black and blistered. Once most of the peppers' surfaces are blistered, place in a zip-top bag for 15 min. Remove from bag, peel off outside skin, cut out top and very gently scrape out seeds. Set aside.
2. Prepared shrimp stuffing. Peel and chop shrimp (I used 3/4 lb for 2 small, 1 large serving (guess whose was whose ;) ), chop 1/2 cup red onion; saute together over M-H heat with 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp ancho chili pepper, and 1/4 tsp salt until done.
3. Stuff peppers with shrimp.
4. Place in a deep baking dish coasted with cooking spray, top with enchilada sauce, bake at 350 for 30 min.
5. While peppers are cooking, prepare rice. I just used a package of yellow rice and added in a 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper when the water started to boil.
6. Place peppers on top of rice, top with additional enchilada sauce, and enjoy!

Be careful with the enchilada sauce...apparently the kind I used was VERY spicy!! Absolutely delicious, though. I'm happy I was able to do justice to at least some of my locally-grown, organic produce this week!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, apparently we had really similar dinners tonight! I made shrimp enchiladas. <3 Sargento's new team-up with El Regalo to bring us "Artisan Authentic Mexican" cheese blend!

    (I hadn't heard of El Regalo before the Sargento bag told me about them either...but their cheese is apparently artisan, and it makes a pretty decent enchilada!)

    ReplyDelete